As the appliance you use to store all your perishable foods and beverages, your refrigerator is by far the most sensitive item in your house. Needless to say, failing to thoroughly clean your fridge on a regular basis can have severe consequences for your family’s health.
In this article, we’ll answer some common questions about fridge cleaning and tell you how to clean your fridge during a regular Baton Rouge house cleaning. Read on to learn more.
How often do you need to clean your fridge?
Unlike other types of kitchen cleaning (such as countertop cleaning or sink cleaning) your fridge only needs to be cleaned on a seasonal basis ie., once every three months. That being said, sometimes you may need to clean it more often.
Do the following to ensure your fridge stays pristine:
- Immediately wipe down any spills,
- Check the food in it every week to make sure nothing has spoiled (the last thing you want is to have mildew or mold inside your fridge),
- When putting pots with food in your fridge, make sure to clean the underside of the pots before placing them on the racks.
A word of warning: never forget to clean your fridge after a food recall. Doing so will prevent germs in the recalled food from spreading to the shelves or drawers inside your fridge. You must do this even if you’ve given it an extensive cleaning less than a week ago.
Do I need to clean the inside of a new refrigerator?
Absolutely. Just as you wouldn’t cook food in a brand new oven before you clean it, you shouldn’t store edibles in a brand new refrigerator before you give it a good scrubbing. After all, you have no idea how long that fridge has sat in some appliance store or warehouse, or who may have opened it and touched the interior.
What is best to use to clean inside of refrigerator?
Fridge cleaning isn’t complicated, but it takes time. Before you start, you should take out the bins and the shelves, and mix 1/4 hot water and 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap.
Do the following:
- Dip a microfiber cloth or a clean sponge in the cleaning solution and use it to wipe down the fridge interior,
- Wipe down the interior surfaces with a clean dry cloth,
- Use the same soap-and-hot-water mixture to wash the bins and the shelves,
- Rinse them well and let them dry out before placing them back in the fridge,
- As you put the food back in, also add a new, opened box of baking soda to absorb any smells.
How do I clean the outside of my refrigerator?
Unplug the fridge, gently pull it away from the wall (be careful not to tip it over), and vacuum underneath and behind it. Dusty fans and coils can cause the fridge to become damaged, so make sure to clean those as well.
Finally, grab a microfiber cloth or a soft sponge, and use the same gentle cleaning solution you use for wiping down cabinets to make the exterior of your fridge shine.
Where can I book a first-rate Baton Rouge house cleaning service?
Cleaning a messy fridge can be hard, time-consuming work. If you can’t find the time to give your fridge the scrubbing it deserves, or if you’d rather spend a pleasant afternoon with your loved ones at the Baton Rouge Gallery, give Geaux Maids of Baton Rouge a call.
As the top maid service in Louisiana, we boast the skills and the experience necessary to render top-of-the-line home cleanings. Get in touch with us today.