Mold is a type of fungus that appears all over the world and encompasses many different species. It thrives in damp places, looks and smells bad, and releases spores that can aggravate respiratory problems such as asthma or allergies.
If it appears inside your home, you should do your best to remove every last trace of mold during your house cleaning in Baton Rouge. Leaving it unchecked will not only make the air in your home unhealthy, it can also ruin expensive carpeting and even damage the walls and flooring.
In previous articles, we explained how to prepare your place for a party and how to clean up after the guests have left. Now we’ll help you deal with another common cleaning problem: carpet mold. Read on to learn more.
What causes mold under carpet?
Mold feeds on moisture and can’t really survive in dry places. While it’s most often found in damp places such as kitchens, bathrooms, and basements, it can appear anywhere where it’s dirty and humid.
That’s right, even a lightly-soiled carpet is in danger of becoming moldy. To make matters worse, mold typically appears on the underside of the carpet, making it impossible to detect unless you check under your carpets regularly.
How do you treat mold under carpet?
Mold spores tend to “hitch a ride” in bits of dirt until they find someplace they can take root and grow. By cleaning your house regularly and stopping your pets from bringing in dirt, you’ll drastically minimize the chance of your carpet ever becoming moldy.
Of course, you must also make sure the humidity levels in your home are at a reasonable level. A damp carpet will eventually become moldy no matter how frequently you clean it. Synthetic carpets are more resistant, but they’re still not 100% mold-proof.
In order to remove the mold from your carpet, you should:
- Thoroughly ventilate the area the carpet is in to prevent mold spores from spreading to other parts of your house,
- Grab a stiff brush and use it on the carpet. The goal is to remove as much mold as possible. Afterward, sweep the mold into a bag and throw it out. Refrain from using a vacuum cleaner as it may end up sucking the mold spores in and then spreading them all over your house the next time you vacuum,
- Get a quality carpet cleaner and carefully scrub the affected area,
- Take the carpet outside and leave it to dry. It needs to dry completely, so don’t hesitate to leave it in the sun for a day or two,
- Use a HEPA vacuum to remove any remaining mold spores.
How do you get rid of mold smell in carpet?
Unfortunately, if your carpet has gotten so moldy that it’s actually letting out a musty smell, it’s probably beyond saving. That being said, there are still a few things you can try.
Do the following:
- Mix two cups of water with one cup of vinegar, put it in a spray bottle, and spritz the carpet. Then add a lot of baking soda and leave it overnight. This may absorb the odor and destroy some species of mold,
- Wash the carpet using foam carpet shampoo,
- Reach out to a trusted cleaning company that has the equipment and the training necessary to deal with severe mold infestations.
Who provides the finest house cleaning in Baton Rouge?
Carpet cleaning is difficult and time-consuming as it is, but it becomes a massive chore if the carpet is also infested with mold. The good news is: you don’t have to do it on your own.
Geaux Maids of Baton Rouge is a first-in-class cleaning company that has the expertise, the tools, and the experience needed to safely remove every last trace of mold from your carpet. Our cleaners will happily deal with the problem while you relax with your friends or attend a thrilling game at the Tiger Stadium.
Get in touch with us today. We’ll make your carpets mold-free in no time!